Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Picking Apples & Pears

One of my favorite traditions since being married is going to my in-law's house to pick apples and pears in September. And when I say tradition...we've only done it once before. We did it the first year we were married, but last year I had a 2 week old baby around harvest time, so we skipped out on the picking. But this year we were back in the game! Except for John. He pretty much works 70-hour weeks these days, poor guy. But I took pictures for him so he could be a part of this fun day.

On a cool September Saturday, early in the morning before the bees came out, my father-in-law (Norris), Abram, and I headed out to the yard to pick fruit. John's folks have a red apple tree, a green apple tree, and a pear tree. We started with the apple trees.





Grandpa Norris and I picked,



while Abram chomped on apples.


As I was picking I noticed something in the tree: 


A bowl? 

I found out that I was picking apples in the "Seconds Tree." My father-in-law, Norris, is a talented potter. Potters all have a "seconds pile" where they throw all their chipped and defected work. Norris decided that instead of having a "seconds pile" he wanted to have a "seconds tree." He places his chipped masterpieces into the tree for all the apple climbers and pickers to discover. Apple picking suddenly turned into a treasure hunt for me.


After we surveyed the apple harvest, we moved onto the pears.



Abram explored the backyard, 


then he helped grandpa pick. 


I stood on a ladder. 


Once we were done picking we went to the kitchen where my mother-in-law, Jo, was prepared to help us preserve the fruit. She is a super woman when it comes to food preservation. She cans, juices, and dries fruit and vegetables all year round for her family. 


First we soaked the fruit in order to force out the worms and earwigs...ew!


Then we cut the fruit.


And then we dried it!


I can't think of a better way to kick off the Fall season than with a harvest! Thank you Grandpa Norris and Grandma Jo for letting us come and enjoy the morning with you!



1 comment: